es Vienna, September 25, 2022
Meduza, the amazing Russian publication-in-exile, reported last night on what Putin has now inflicted on his own people, as well as on Ukraine: As of 9:06pm Moscow time the project knew of 707 arrests in 32 cities. Most of those arrested were in Moscow
(over 300 people), St. Petersburg (over 100), and Novosibirsk (around 70). Insiders believe a secret protocol in Putin’s “partial mobilisation” could mean 1.2m million more conscripts being sent to Ukraine, especially from poorer parts of Russia. However, the Chechen leader said the call-up would not apply to Chechnya, 20,000 of whose citizens had already been sent to Ukraine.
- Guardian, London, today: Day 214 of Putin’s war puts arrests at over 2,000. Live news
- profil, Vienna 25/09/22 What of Putin really set off a nuke? (in DE, try right-click or Deepl.com to translate) and How do Ukrainian refugees communicate with each other?
- Novaya Gazeta 24/09/22 Polemic about sending a million men off to die (video)
- storymaps.arcgis.com Interactive maps of the conflict
- Meduza interviewed two independent journalists now operating from outside Russia to find out how they’re managing this job.
- Project Syndicate 30/08/22 Prof Slavoj Žižek on Ukraine’s Tale of Two Colonizations