ES. Vienna, 24/04/22
The attack of Odesa which so many had feared began yesterday evening with the bombardment of an apartment block and the deaths of six people, one of them a three-month-old baby, reports the Kyiv Independent. The BBC has this and over news, including that US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is to visit Kyiv today (24/02), and – from a press conference held in the Kyiv metro – Ukrainian President Zelenski said he would call off peace talks if Russia killed the last Ukrainian forces in Mariupol or held an independence referendum in occupied Kherson.
In the devastated port city of Mariupol a planned evacuation of civilians has not happened, with children in the warren of tunnels under the besieged steelworks OCSE lacking water, food, or heating: see video. And military observers from the Vienna-based OSCE have been taken hostage in Donetsk and Luhansk.
- BBC 23/04/22 Forced russification of Ukrainian media
- Channel 4, UK 23/04/22 Odesa hit by missile attacks
- Observer, London 23/04/22 Nick Cohen on the new anti-colonial struggle
- MSNBC 23/04/22 Mysterious deaths connected with Kremlin and the Ukraine war
- Amanpour and Company 21/04/22 Twice-poisoned Putin critic in jail- wife speaks out
- BBC 02/03/22 Ukraine events as seen on Russian tv