by Edward Steen, Vienna, February 23, 2024
This morning the Russian embassy in London found its street-view painted for half a kilometer in the Ukrainian colours, ahead of tomorrow´s anniversary of the disaster visited on Ukraine – and much of the planet – by the launch of President Putin’s so-called “military operation” on Russia’s neighbour.
A statement linked below, embargoed for publication until 08.30 CET tomorrow morning, has been agreed by the AEJ and other partner organisations of the Council of Europe’s Safety of Journalists Platform to mark that first anniversary.
It includes – in French as well as English – a photo gallery and background Information on a war which has seen many hundreds of journalists working as war correspondents, often at great risk to themselves. About 20 have been killed from the beginning, which was not in reality a year ago but in spring 2014.
Among the most serious and comprehensive commentaries has been that of Yale professor and historian Timothy Snyder in a PBS interview, in which he says: “
- One year on: Deutsche Welle sums up the terrible story so far – millions still displaced.
- Channel 4 News, UK on intensified fighting and mood in Kherson on eve of anniversary + correspondent Matt Frei on a year of war.
- Economist on opposing war when telling the truth is a crime. Courage of Russian reporters, huge numbers leaving country, estimated 200,000 Russian dead.
- OSCE assembly, Vienna – walkout in protest at Russian presence (DW)
- Kyiv Post. What to expect at the One-Year Mark
- What next? What are the stakes? Experienced army colonel gives sober, detailed view. (Daily Telegraph, London)
- Channel 4 News (UK) on today’s developments, fears of China-Russia pact.
- LBC (London radio) phone-in special with experts talking about what next, especially Moldova, and Putin’s direct threat to London. News broke during broadcast of UN Gen Assembly vote against Russia and for 10-point plan to end the war. Live coverage of UN Assembly. US declares that vote by 193-member body will “go down in history.” (Reuters)
- Extraordinary and revealing interview at Munich conference with Chinese military delegate. Will there be a Chinese deal with Russia? (Deutsche Welle)
- Democracy Now on the anniversary of the war
- Putin aggressive speech on News18. BBC analyses Putin and Biden speeches side by side